New Song – No Leopards

Hey friends. I’ve been busy recently making so much new music, I just want to stop by and drop off a little song as a means of a hello while I continue making my next record.
Please enjoy No Leopards by streaming & downloading here
The version here has two (Berlin Demos) as bonus tracks.

Genre wise I’d describe it as SAFARI-CORE.
I recorded this in a hotel in Berlin, vocals done with Richard Collins at Snug Recording Co. and dispatched to Dan Weller for mixing. 
Please stream, share with other safari-core lovers.
Alan Williamson for art.

Mercury Bar, StringAgeddon and songs galore

I had a brilliant time working on one of my songs at the legendary Metropolis studios in London. My Queen fandom peaked walking the halls of the place where much of the final Queen record –Innuendo was made. Between Montreux’s Mountain Studios (a place I know well now!)and Metropolis Freddie Mercury’s final work was completed so for me personally it felt like a real special place to “work”… I still struggle to call writing and recording songs work.

Anyway, the song I finished at Metropolis is a big seven minute epic which I’m making some very specific plans around. Before all that you’ll be hearing a new song called No Leopards, a very different song recorded predominately in and around my Berlin hotel a month or so back.

I’ve spent the past week writing and  planning, being a songwriter and artist seems to involve so many lists and lists about lists especially when I’ve multiple records on the go at once. Whats’s nice at the moment is that 80% of what I’m working on is for me and the other 20% is for other people, a nice balance! One of the things I’ve been working on for another project is a huge classical piece, it’d been sending me crazy, so many parts all intertwined and effecting each other, love it.

I really should think about playing shows!

I made a playlist of my discography! Listen to it here 

More soon


Ps I love the new St Vincent record, you should check it out


New VØICES song out now :)

Hey guys, remember I told you about the record I’ve accidentally made and decided to release songs from it under the guise of VØICES due to it being “another of my voices”? Well here is song two! Hope you enjoy, it’s a nice aside to the big riffarama I’m working on at the moment (more on that soon promise) for now please enjoy Oceans.

You can listen to it right here VØICES Oceans

Recording at Chapel Studios

Just had a massively productive and fulfilling week making another EP at Chapel studios. It’s a studio I”ve visited many times and made the odd bit of music but never a full record of my own. It lived up to my expectations and exceeded them. My “work” day would be much like this every day. I’d wake up at 6am and take a walk in the countryside, finalising ideas and polishing lyrics. Then back to the studio for breakfast before embarking on a 10am until 2am day of solid creativity only breaking for the evening meal lovingly created by the amazing owner. I would do a lead vocal every evening no matter the stage the music was at just to ensure that I didn’t end up with four songs to sing in the final days. Once I hit my bedroom Lyrics buzzing around my brain and new counter melodies meant that bedtime was really just a few hours of dozing and writing  but I LOVED every second of it! We’re going directly into mixing now so I’m excited to hear the final finished thing! Oh and for a timeline thing I’ve new music coming BEFORE you hear this music! Brilliant to work again with Dan Weller and our new engineer friend Luke was a brilliant addition!

More to come!


Writing in Berlin (again)

I had another brilliant and inspirational stay in Berlin. Wandered the city that I’ve come to know so well for a few days and demoed my thoughts back in the hotel. NOW what a hotel! Guitars on room service! I had this really nice Gibson sent up to me and kept it for the duration of my stay. I had my “on the move” recording rig with me to document everything.
Alongside Montreux in Switzerland Berlin is my “go to” destination for guaranteed musical inspiration.
Now I’ve a week at home doing my own version of preproduction (which tends to involve more writing)  before I head out to the middle of nowhere in the English countryside to record in a big studio.

Paper Island Discs – BBC Radio One

Another song off my new EP getting its Radio One debut tonight on the always ace Radio One Rock Show with Dan P Carter.

I wrote this song in a snow storm in Copenhagen a few months back, recorded it in a hotel room at Snug recordings before deploying the ninja ears of  Dan Weller for mixing. It features me namchecking 27 bands / artist in the lyrics who made up the playlist I’d just been listening to and Paper Island is where I am in the cover art 🙂

Get the EP here